Plastic straws and stirrers are the seventh most commonly found items at beach cleanups.
They are not biodegradable, which means that every plastic straw created is still around in some form. Plastic has a huge impact on our ecosystems, wildlife and people, and it’s our chapter’s goal to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the environment.
How can you get involved?
- Say “No straw, please” when ordering your drink.
- Bring your own reusable straw.
- Bonus points: Snap a photo of you and your friends refusing plastic single-use straws or using reusable straws and post to social media using #DitchTheStrawNewport
- Ask your favorite restaurant to only provide straws upon request or to go plastic straw free.
- Write a yelp review telling your favorite restaurant how much you appreciate them choosing to ditch the straw
- Volunteer with the Ditch the Straw program – email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
How can businesses get involved?
Businesses offering straws upon request have reduced straw consumption by 40-60%!
- Switch to a Straws Upon Request policy.
- Use paper or reusable straws.
- Surfrider can offer a special discount code for Aardvark Paper Straws to participating businesses that provide data on their change in straw use.
- Surfrider can support your policy switch through staff training and educational materials. We’ll also recognize your amazing work on social media!
Email email@example.com for more information.